Learn the art of beading with shibori silk! This pendant was designed to show off the flow of shibori silk in a classic heart shape pendant. Meg was inspired by the icy colours of the silk and, pairing it with a collection of beads and components, created a subtle sparkle in the frozen landscape.
Students will learn/cover the following concepts:
– how to effectively work with shibori silk, including how to shape it into a pleasing design, and how to manage the ends of the silk
– how to embellish the silk with a range of beads and components (including incorporating a focal, and working with cupchain)
– Bead embroidery (using a template)
– Bezelling a pointed back stone such as a chaton/Rivoli
– Backing and edging the pendant (optional embellishment)
– How to neatly incorporate a bail in bead embroidery
– Basic design techniques and ideas for your individual pendant
– Do not expect to finish your piece in class. However, students will be provided with a full set of notes, including photos and diagrams, to be able to finish in their own time.
Meg has worked with shibori silk for almost 10 years in numerous designs. Create and dye your own silk with Margaret Mueller on Day 1 of the Winter Retreat, then on Day 2 learn two ways how to turn your silk into stunning bead embroidery designs with Meg Thompson and Catriona Starpins (kits available in colours shown for those who don’t wish to dye their own silk).
SKILL LEVEL: Beginner. Knowledge of peyote, brick stitch, and bead embroidery would be an advantage
TECHNIQUES: bead embroidery
COST: Members: $90
KIT: One Colourway (see workshop photo):
– $30 with no shibori silk supplied (make your own with Margaret Mueller)
– $40 with shibori silk included (premade silk).
– Please note: necklace chain is not provided in kit
FINAL DATE FOR KIT PURCHASING: Sunday 2nd July 2023
REQUIREMENTS: A complete requirements list will be supplied to participants as a downloadable PDF once payment is completed.
Bookings are closed for this event.